Looking to apply my extensive photography skills to provide valuable images, know-how, and energy to those who would in turn provide me with a rewarding work enviornment and further growth.
I've been taking pictures since I was a small child. With formal training starting in my teens, and continuous exploration on my own, I've been expanding my photographic knowledge and skill throughout my life. Now, finally, I'm giving focus back to this area of my life, as I explore photography not just as a passion, but also as a career. (Historically, I've worked in the fields of technical theatre, UNIX systems administration, and software development.)
AREAS OF FOCUS:Photographic styles/interests: low-light (long exposure); low-light (concerts and similar); candid portraits; macro (especially eyes); documentary; time-lapse; hand-colored images.
Areas of skill/knowledge: long exposures; macro (usually with flash); studio lighting; Black&White darkroom techniques.
Primary equipment used: Canon EOS 30D (for digital); Canon EOS Elan (for 35mm); Canon 100mm f2.8 USM macro lens; Canon MT-24EX twin-lite flash; Canon TC-80N3 timer/remote.
Additional equipment: Canon EOS 10D; Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens; Canon 28-80mm zoom lens; Canon 100-300mm zoom lens; Additional items rented for purpose shooting as needed.
Photographic software tools used: Aperture; Adobe Photoshop (CS2 on Mac); GIMP; NetPBM and other open source utilities, with custom shell scripting.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:Peer Review recognition:
- 1st place in judging in the Nature category at SPS meeting, 2007-03-27, for image Urban Nature
- 2nd place in judging and audience favorite in the General category at SPS meeting, 2007-06-26, for image Smoke Face
- 2nd place in judging in the Creative category at SPS meeting, 2006-12-05, for image Leaping Pair
- 2nd place in both judging and audience favorite in the Creative category at SPS meeting, 2006-10-03, for image Blue Smoke
- 2nd place in judging in the General category at SPS meeting, 2006-06-27, for image "A Week Early, or 6 Months Late"
- 2nd place in judging and People's Choice award in the General category at SPS meeting, 2006-01-24, for image Rowing Home
- 2nd place (tied) in audience voting at SPS meeting, 2005-12-06, for image New Years Needle (original slide projection)
- 3rd place in judging in the General category at SPS meeting, 2007-07-24, for image Just Below the Surface
- 3rd place in judging in the General category at SPS meeting, 2006-07-25, for image Art by Fire
- 3rd place in judging for the Small Color print category at SPS meeting, 2006-04-18, for image Smirk (print)
- 3rd place (tied) in judging for the Small Color print category at SPS meeting, 2006-01-17, for image Anchor at Alki (print)
- 3rd place in both judging and audience voting at SPS meeting, 2005-12-20, for image Re-Heat (print)
- Selected by SPS members for entry into the Photographic Society of America (PSA)'s Electronic Imaging Devision (EID)'s Inter-Club Competition (EID-ICC), second stage; selected 2005-12-31.
- "Get Creative" postcard for the Pratt Fine Arts Center, Fall 2007.
- Pratt Fine Arts Center's Fall 2007 catalog, various images.
- Pratt Fine Arts Center's Annual Art Auction Catalog, numerous images of auction items.
- Pratt Fine Arts Center's Spring 2007 catalog, various images.
- Seattle Sound Magazine, January 2007, 5 images, page 37.
- Seattle Sound Magazine, December 2006, 1 image, page 37.
- Pratt Fine Arts Center's Winter 2007 catalog, 16 images (on pages 4, 18, 37, 43, 44, and back cover)
- Various promotional materials for Pratt Fine Arts Center; Winter 2007.
- Pratt Fine Arts Center's Fall 2006 catalog, 3 images (on pages 4, 36, and 42)
- Seattle Photographic Society (SPS) (member since 2005; elected to serve on the board of directors in June, 2006)
- Group f5.6 (since 2005)
TRAINING & EDUCATION:
- 2 years of Black&White photography classes in High School (c. 1989-1992)
- 1 quarter of Black&White photography in College (c. 1993)
- lots of self-training, research, and experimentation (always)
- various smaller classes (various times; as early as 1987, and as recent as 2006)
- Glass in various forms - blown glass, fusing, stained/leaded glass, etc.
- Software Development
- Chain-mail (as in knitted metal rings)
- Electronics Tinkering
- Technical Theatre
- Amateur Radio (FCC call sign: KF6HFQ)
Current Revision: 1.9+1.10 (mode 2-0-0-0), updated 2007-09-22